Buying CBD for the First Time

It is a common misconception that all CBD products contain just as much THC as marijuana. Both THC and CBD are compounds found in the cannabis plant. But is CBD the same as Marijuana?

When researching the right CBD to purchase, it is important to know the difference from traditional cannabis (aka Marijuana) and CBD.

marijuana joints

What is Marijuana?

Marijuana cannabis, is a THC rich strain of the cannabis plant. These THC rich strains are usually found in the form of a  joint or bud. They contains around 10% THC per weight on average. However, once heated with an open flame only about 40% of the THC is inhaled. This is due to the other 60% of theTHC breaking down during the heating process. So the average 300mg Marijuana joint with 10% total THC could deliver a max of about 12mg of THC when inhaled.

300mg x 0.1 x 0.4 = 12mg

About 5mg to 25mg of THC needs to be inhaled in-order to get you “high”. Although, the amount to cause a “high” feeling really depends on how often you use THC.

There are also CBD rich strains of Marijuana cannabis that contain high levels of CBD and lower levels of THC. However, these strains typically still have enough THC to produce the “high” effects when inhaled.

The next section will discuss strains of the cannabis plant that have negligible amounts of THC but high levels of CBD.

Hemp Oil and CBD Oil

What is CBD?

The cannabis plant contains many different compounds, such as THC and CBD (Cannabidiol). However, unlike THC, CBD does not cause psychoactive or “high” feeling. Instead CBD has been shown to help treat a wide range of conditions, including arthritis, diabetes, alcoholism, MS, chronic pain, schizophrenia, PTSD, depression, antibiotic-resistant infections, epilepsy, and other neurological disorders.

In the US, strains of the cannabis sativa plant that contain 0.3% or less THC are classified as Industrial Hemp. In fact, according to federal and state legislatures, certified Industrial Hemp is completely exempt from thedefinition of cannabis.

CBD extracted from USA certified industrial hemp cannot contain more than 0.3% THC. This is because the 2014 Farm Bill states that Industrial Hemp is prohibited from being cultivated if it containing THC concentrations of more than 0.3%.

CBD companies like Omega Krush source their CBD from Colorado Industrial Hemp. Colorado has the most robustindustrial hemp cultivation programin the US. Omega Krushprides itself in using only CBD derived from the highest quality industrial hemp in the US. 

Summary

Marijuana cannabis is a type of cannabis with high levels of THC, which can cause psychoactive effects.

CBD is a compound extracted from cannabis that has no THC and does not cause psychoactive effects.

Leave a Reply